When you’re buying a pumpkin to make a jack o’lantern, throw an extra one in the trolley and make this healthy vegetarian dish.
This Halloween, as every Halloween, pumpkins will fly off the shelves – but precious few of them will actually be eaten, with the bulbous orange vegetables instead being used to make jack o’lanterns.
Now, there’s nothing wrong with making jack o’lanterns, but we urge you to consider buying not one but two pumpkins this Halloween and using one of them to make this pumpkin pasta recipe, created by Karen Burns-Booth of Great British Chefs for Barilla Pasta.
The mighty pumpkin naturally takes pride of place, but for extra flavour and excitement, there’s kale, feta and almonds thrown into the mix, while wholewheat pasta provides a fibre-rich base. In fact, considering that pumpkin and kale are also both solid sources of fibre, this dish offers one hell of a fibre hit, which is great to see because we are BIG fans of fibre here at Coach.
Pumpkin And Whole Wheat Pasta Salad With Kale, Feta And Almonds Recipe
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 pumpkin, roughly 750g
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 250g kale
- 1 large red onion, sliced into petals
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 250g wholewheat fusilli
- 100g flaked almonds
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 Peel, deseed and roughly chop the pumpkin into 2.5cm cubes. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper, then place on a roasting tray. Scatter with the onion petals and roast for 25-30 minutes until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Tear the kale into smaller pieces, removing any tough stalks, and add to the roasting tray after 20 minutes. Cook the fusilli in salted boiling water until al dente. Toast the flaked almonds in a hot, dry frying pan until golden brown.
- Once all the elements are cooked, mix the pasta with the roasted vegetables. Scatter the toasted almonds and feta over the top.
- Serve with green salad and crusty bread.
Written by Nick Harris-Fry for Coach and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.